A ward is a protective spell.
Role in the Story
|Spoiler warning: Contains plot elements from multiple books in the series.|
Curse of the Mistrwaith
- Third Age 5637: When the Rauven mages send Arithon a package through the Worldsend gate, it is warded, and burns Lysaer.
- When Dakar is found passed out in West End, Arithon notes that the wards on his purse are shabbily-created.
- Kharadmon and Luhaine create a barrier ward around Mirthlvain Swamp to prevent the migration of meth-snakes.
- Sethvir and Asandir set wards on the crown jewels of Rathain to hide their powers from Arithon. Sethvir advises Asandir to set another ward that will distract Arithon the first time he picks up the jewels.
- Third Age 5638: The half-brothers battle the Mistwraith from inside Kieling Tower, to take advantage of Paravian wards.
- Luhaine sets wards around Lady Maenalle's chamber to prevent the Koriathain from listening to his conversation.
- Morriel and Lirenda set wards when they spy upon Arithon in Kieling Tower, which prevents his backlash of energies from harming anyone.
- In a triplet, a unicorn on an uncharted island is shown standing guard over a Sorcerer held under sleep wards.
- When the Mistwraith attacks the half-brothers, Asandir is alerted when the wards on Alithiel nearly set fire to a clothes chest. He also creates a ward circle to protect them.
- Before the final battle at Kieling Tower, it is revealed that no ward spell can be perfectly effective if the Name of the attacking entity is unknown.
- Wards are used in Etarra during the failed coronation to seal off the south ward armory and secure the sleeping ministers in their guild hall. When Lysaer attacks Arithon, Asandir casts wards to protect the innocent bystanders.
- When Arithon travels with the clans of Deshir, he sets wards so that headhunters will not hear the sounds of the whistles made for the boys.
- When the Mistwraith is imprisoned in Rockfell Pit, both Kharadmon and Asandir lay down the wards, because spells performed by corporate beings are different from those performed by discorporate beings.
Ships of Merior
- Third Age 5645: Asandir and Luhaine use wards to smuggle Halliron out of Jaelot. Arithon detects wards in a coin offered to him by Asandir and realizes that Dakar has been affected by similar magecraft. Later, Luhaine detects decay in the wards created by Asandir around Rockfell Pit.
Warhost of Vastmark
- Third Age 5646: When Kharadmon returns home with free wraiths in tow, he instructs Sethvir to set up two sets of concentric wards around all of Athera. The power of these wards is drawn from the lanes.
- Third Age 5647: Lirenda and a circle of 108 sorceresses are unable to thwart the wards protecting Althain Tower.
- The Fellowship set wards to separate the half-brothers during the Ostermere ransom exchange.
- Dakar uses wards to rescue Arithon from his unsupervised tienelle scrying.
- In Vastmark, Dakar uses wards to deter the attacking armies and camouflage the Vastmark shepherds.
- Third Age 5648: Dakar guards Arithon's men under wards at Corith.
- To guard Athera, the Fellowship construct the star wards. Its creation spans an entire year with efforts from the 2 discorporate Sorcerers in space and the 3 corporeal Sorcerers at Althain Tower. The wards spread across arc seconds in space, and cut through time as well.
- Third Age 5652: Morriel sets wards around the construct driving her plot against Arithon.
- Dakar's wards are turned against him when Arithon tries to escape in Riverton.
- Third Age 5653: Asandir sets wards on his backtrail when he visits Feithan.
- The Koriathain smash wards over Sorcerer's Preserve to return Lysaer to Avenor.
- Dakar sets wards to prevent fires from spreading when Arithon battles Caolle in Riverton.
- Traithe sets wards along the coast of Havish to prevent Tysan's slave ships from landing.
- Third Age 5653: Luhaine uses a summoning ward to recall Asandir from Meth Isle Fortress.
- Lirenda and Elaira set wards to avoid discovery as they change Fionn Areth.
- Asandir sets a ward of protection on a fisherman's boat.
- Third Age 5654: Fiark's factor office is protected by Dakar's wards.
- The Cabal of Light uses drake skulls as wards to plot in secrecy. The Fellowship unkey the wards around Earle Keep to scry the future.
- Third Age 5669: Although not protective in nature, Morriel casts a bane-ward on Fionn Areth, designed to sow argument, discontent, and restlessness.
- Asandir rededicates the wards on Sorcerer's Preserve.
- Elaira protects Fionn Areth with wards when the townsfolk are scared by Morriel's attack on Athera.
- The Koriathain set wards around Jaelot to catch Arithon as he enters the city, and later, set wards throughout the city to hedge his escape.
- Third Age 5670: Dakar sets wards at the meeting place near Jaelot to deter pursuit.
- Arithon sets wards of containment when preparing his strategy for Jieret's war band in Daon Ramon Barrens. Wards enspelled through eight acorns channel Lysaer's attack of light back against the army from Etarra.
- Sulfin Evend sketches a crude warding circle around himself and Lysaer after the Etarran army is decimated.
- Wards on the Great Waystone prevent Selidie from reacting in time to Davien's fire trap.
- Dakar, Luhaine, and Kharadmon refound the wards around Rockfell Pit after they are destabilized by Morriel's attack on Athera.
- Kewar Tunnel is protected by Davien's wards.
- Third Age 5670: Luhaine sets wards in the Shipsport dungeon to protect Dakar and Fionn Areth. Proximity to Dakar allows Fionn Areth to travel to Alestron safely.
- Sulfin Evend receives a Fellowship ward protecting him from necromancy.
- Arithon's threnodies act as a ward against iyats aboard the Evenstar.
- Third Age 5671: Arithon uses wards to protect his privacy with Elaira in Halwythwood.