Mayor of Jaelot
From Paravia Wiki
The Mayor of Jaelot is first introduced in Ships of Merior at Dakar's trial. He's described as "soft as pudding", wearing a volumnious robe with padded shoulders. He's quite overweight and often short of breath, and has narrow-set eyes and jowls.
Role in the Story
|Spoiler warning: Contains plot elements from multiple books in the series.|
Ships of Merior
- Once Dakar has been found guilty in the destruction of the mayor's crown molding, the Mayor suggests that Halliron perform at a feast on midsummer solstice as compensation for Dakar's misdeeds. This is considered to be a rank insult.
- On the summer solstice in Third Age 5644, the Mayor orders Dakar to be rearrested until Halliron performs. After Halliron's satire, the Mayor commands Arithon (as Medlir) to perform for his guests in exchange for a healer's services for Halliron. After Arithon raises the Paravian mysteries, the Mayor flees his palace with his wife.
- When Asandir meets with Halliron outside of Jaelot, he reveals that the Mayor "will end his life badly, in pain of his own devising". The author has confirmed that this is not an immediate occurrence -- "The reference said he would die badly - not that he would not live a long life.".
- In Third Age 5669, the Mayor is bedridden with gout. He tries to convince a clerk fixated on expenses that Arithon remains a danger to Jaelot.
- Elaira is tending to the Mayor's gout when Fionn Areth is captured and brought to him. When she pledges to keep him under wards in exchange for a fair trial, the Mayor orders both Elaira and Fionn Areth confined to the deepest dungeon.
- On Winter Solstice, the Mayor meets with Lirenda to discuss the hiring of a new executioner. When Arithon causes the Koriani wards around Jaelot to collapse, the Mayor speeds up the timetable for Fionn Areth's execution.
- The Mayor is a state witness to Fionn Areth's execution ad is close by when Arithon effects an escape. He survives the chaos.
- After the Koriathain vanish from the city, the Mayor seeks out his guard captain to order their capture. He finds the guard captain preparing to track Arithon through the Skyshiel Mountains and cannot convince him to follow orders.
- © Janny Wurts, Ships of Merior, p. 163 (US-Hardback)
- Email from Janny Wurts, March 28, 2009